Saturday, March 7, 2009

Haircut



I readily admit that making a post about a haircut seems ridiculous, especially being a guy. The fact is that I've had quite the experience thus far in London and wanted to share it. I am 23, my mom, sister and friends have always cut my hair. I found a voucher for a free haircut at a high-class salon in London-Vidal Sassoon. My hair was about 7 inches long and getting ridiculous and thought I'd see what a student might do with the "bush".
For my first haircut (pic 1) I am very glad I brought a book. I was there for 3 hours. I read a good portion of the book, I have no idea how people do this on a regular basis! None of the students wanted to tackle the beast, and the one who ended up with me was dumbfounded in where to begin. They asked what my feeling and philosophy was for my hair, the words "butcher" and "tame" are not words artsy barbers hear often. Supposedly I was getting a new "shape" to my hair. You know you get bored when you actually decide to follow the process of a haircut, kind of like knowing the exact process of a teeth cleaning. Well 3-4 inches later I was actually pretty happy with my haircut (picture 1). The only "shape" that was attained though was square-hard to judge curly hair I guess.

6 weeks later i got a free voucher at Vidal Sassoon from students focusing on guys' hair. I decided to go for it and be willing to go with whatever they did. I had a good book again, and somehow landed a Japanese student and her translator. It amazes me all the language, strategy, methods they have for a simple cut. 90min in, with just the top left to cut I quickly realized they were not planning on cutting the top at all. I had instructed them that I wouldn't mind it being longer than the sides. Look at the second photo, I am not sure what they call this type of cut. I had to hold back my laughter! yes there is an "optional part". I wouldn't have minded a mohawk but ended up with a Kramer look. And worse than that, they had cut irregularly in the front. The student was extremely grateful for me being patient and cheerful; it had made her more relaxed. I was her first client in her time in the UK. That, plus not having more time for a "fix-up", made me decide to just live with it. Despite thinking I looked ridiculous, i was bold and confidently walked around London that afternoon but late that night I gave in and cut the rest of it myself, resulting in picture 3.

OVERALL my mother, sister and friends have done a better job with my hair...but maybe that's b/c they never felt burdened with the "transformation" and creation of a style. I won't need a cut until mid-summer and the saying is probably true: the difference between a good and bad haircut is two weeks.

Picture 1-first haircut 2-the experiment 3-the resolution

3 comments:

charissa said...

that is a crazy story. I like your detailed stories

Mama C said...

This made me smile!! Your resolution cut looks good!!!

Hugs, Mama C

Anonymous said...

1000 facebook likes
buy facebook likes

http://www.gpucomputing.net/?q=node/69 http://bradpaisley.com/tour/nashville-tn-cma-fest-2011-06-09
get facebook likes get facebook likes buy facebook likes
i have an Dell Inspiron desktop with a wireless adapter already inside it. it was working fine until i wipe my hard drive (system recovery) because it had a virus and now i cant get it to work.i do not have the in stall disc either but i tried downloading the driver, and i went into the device manager and it had a yellow exclamation point uninstalled it but now when i restart my pc it will not pop up to install new hardware and when i go to manuelly install it it there's like five other wireless adapters so i installed them all and it still doesn't work. What do i do? i also dont have the CD for reinstallation, even though i DID NOT receive one when i purchased it , but it still asks for one

get facebook likes buy facebook likes [url=http://1000fbfans.info]buy facebook likes [/url] get facebook likes