Sunday, March 8, 2009

ASHA Anniversary






Last Saturday, the charity shop I work at, ASHA (meaning "hope"), celebrated their 2nd year anniversary! We cleared out the front room, put on some mats and chairs, and brought Indian snacks and drinks to welcome over 70 people: customers, neighbor shop owners, and volunteers. The shop was closed but we still had several new people join in. I loved seeing everyone connect and tell their stories. We sang bhajans, heard more details about the specific charities we support and had a few prayers of thanksgiving.
I will be going to India next month and will visit some of the charities we support in heathcare, education and small enterprise. I'll soak up as much of that trip as I can and fill in more about the work going on. As far as the details of my journeys, I am still working on that. I have been told it will be very hot, which is completely fine with me considering how cold it is here! Being able to visit India and have a story of my own will help me connect even more with charity efforts like those at ASHA. There is beautiful traditional clothing but mostly for women, I hope to find something for my sisters and mum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben, My name is Consuelo and this is my blog if you like to visit it: http://www.yourlocallondon.com/editors-blog/pinner/

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT ASHA AND WHERE IS THE CHARITY SHOP LOCATED.

Many Thanks

Mama C said...

Look at all the colors! Can't wait to see and hear about your trip...

Hugs,
Mama C