Monday, March 16, 2009

Happy Holi!




Last Tuesday, I went with a friend to Holi, the Hindu Festival of Colours, which celebrates the coming of spring and the conquering of good over evil by throwing colors on each other. It was the night before, so they had a bonfire with coconuts inside reminding them of the story surrounding the occasion. I wasn't sure what to expect, and being one of the only non-Indians and knowing only one person made me hesitant to get involved. My friend and I bought some bags of coloured powder, which is supposed to be washable, and went outside. People put a little of the colour in their palm and smeared it on someone's face saying "happy holi!" I was curious to see how orderly this colouring of each other would be. Having orange thrown into my face by a nine year old confirmed that I welcome to join in the fun. It resembled kids running around chasing each other in a waterfight, but with coloured powder instead. I joined in tossing, rubbing colours on anyone and everyone while also getting colours in my ears, eyes, mouth, on my neck, anywhere that was penetrable. I enjoyed meeting new people, making new friends and seeing all the colours and smiles in a city that is normally dark and melancholy, especially in the winter.
Last night, I went with some famiies from the youth clubs I run to a larger celebration and thankfully still had the clothes I used previously. This time it got more messy but it was nice to have a posse to celebrate the experience with. It took more than one shower but I did eventually get all the colours out! They told me it is crazy in India with waterguns and thousands of people; too bad I'll miss it by only a few weeks when I go.

No comments: