Sunday, February 8, 2009

Snow Day!



































Last Monday London received the most snow since 1990, 4-5 inches! It sounds pathetic i know but the whole city was transformed. Few people went into work since the roads were "impassable" and public transport was closed for most the day. Kids rejoiced to be off from school and teachers no doubt appreciated an extended weekend. My flatmates and I enjoyed a leisurely morning inside with hot drinks and warm food. One of them, out of sheer determination and goodwill, walked 3 miles to the nearest operating bus station in order to work at the hotel! most people stayed close to home or hibernated.
I ventured out on my bicycle, which sounds either brave or foolish but I suppose it was a pure temptation of "man v. nature"- I won (meaning I did not fall or freeze I suppose) There were several kids who threw snowballs at me but thankfully they had bad aim. The parks were filled with people, especially in central London! I helped build some snowmen and explored other creations. I must admit that the snowman I am with in the photo was not made by me but by some neighborhood kids from my youth club.
It snowed off and on the rest of the week, which I actually enjoyed despite the difficulty on my bike, having mountain bike tires helped. I was happy to get some snow, I had been rather envious of Seattle getting some over the Christmas holidays. After growing up there I know what a treat/mess that must have been. For now, the rains have returned in London and I am longing for spring to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your snowman!

Rachel said...

I've just spent a rather pleasant half hour catching up on all your news from London. I'm looking at 6 inches of snow outside my window right now and thinking it's such a shame that for all its wet weather, snowfall is rare around London. I'm glad you guys got to enjoy some for a while!

I am impressed by how well you've chronicled everything and the interest you take in things like the linguistics of Britain. I love learning about those types of things as well.

I am hoping to join the team in June, but for now, am enjoying your updates. My prayers are with you all. Take care and God bless!

~Rachel Lowen