Friday, November 21, 2008

trip to Oxford, and other experiences
















I visited some friends up in Oxford last weekend! It was a brief trip but well worth it. They showed me around the city, we got some good fish and chips and watched a late showing of the newest Bond movie. There is a ton of history to see and before leaving Sunday I grabbed some lunch and the Eagle and Child pub, where the Inklings met (CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien among others).
I forgot to mention but the week prior I went with the guys from our older youth club to a Liverpool v. Tottenham football match. It was a great first experience! We sat in the Tottenham section, so it was a good thing they won 4-2. We had sweet seats near the goal, cheered with the crowd, learn some new chants and joined 1000s with the long Tube ride home. I'll be leading both youth clubs for a few months, which includes running the indoor soccer matches that get pretty intense-no injuries so far.
I went to an Indian restaurant/nightclub with some friends last Thursday. I was used to the food but dancing to Bollywood music was new, I recognized a few of the songs. The place is normally packed but not that night so I stood out more. While I mention Bollywood, you all can be assured I've asked for personal of suggestions of what films to watch. They're definitely longer than American films and present a unique Indian perspective on similar themes. Thankfully they have English subtitles!

Christmas decorations went up the first week of November and the city is buzzing with holiday fever-they don't celebrate Thanksgiving here. I'll be having Thanksgiving with some other friends and am looking forward to some American football beforehand! I'm not quite sure what I'll be doing for Christmas yet.
*for recent photos check the link to flickr on the site, and for even more befriend me on facebook to see some albums:)

1 comment:

Allison said...

oxford is an awesome city!! were you inspired sitting at the pub where the boys got together?? :) love it!!

hope you are doing well! praying for you!