Monday, November 3, 2008

navratri


On Sunday night, the 5th, I attended Navratri at the Harrow Leisure Center with two friends. Though this is primarily a spiritual ceremony, it seemed to provide a special social opportunity for reunion and interaction between Indian families and communities. I was one of the few non-Indians present but everyone was very welcoming and patient as I learned the dance steps for their garba and asked questions. The first thing that struck me upon entering the large room was all the colors. Though I had only been in London a few days, it seemed the usual colors for Brits were darker-black, brown, navy blue, etc. So when I saw all the bright colors and intricate designs of the sarees, kurtas, and other clothes, I felt like I walked into a rainbow! It was all very festive with friends coming together, families taking pictures and live music. While I was off to the side during the main prayer, an Indian explained to me what was being said and was being symbolized in the middle. We were there for a few hours so my feet were definitely sore the next day from dancing barefoot but it was worth the experience.

No comments: