Monday, June 29, 2009

Kids Club
















At the end of May I helped with a kids club in Southall which was a very enjoyable time even though I am mentioning it a month late. Truth be told I was waiting to get some photos from people before making this post. I had never been part of a kids club before, either as a participant or volunteer. Nonetheless I was excited to help lead the 8-9yr olds, the Blue group, the LIONS!! They were an energetic bunch and definitely hard to handle at times but it was a privilege to lead them. We played kickball, basketball, football and a bunch of indoor games. Initially we had 24 kids in my group and only 1 girl. Thankfully we had 5 more girls by the last day, and 30 kids overall!

Several different moments stick out in my mind like trying to form a train and having one of them right me a thank you card but the best was on the last day. We finished with outdoor activities that were messy: a water balloon fight, having whipping cream pies stuffed in my face and hair, sliding on a tarp with oil, ice cream, water, whipping cream, and banana…I was a mess!
I had a fun time and was glad to experience the kids club since I’ll be leading one in Harrow in a few weeks. We decided to cap it at 80 kids since already I had 17 sign up this last week! Thankfully I know several older kids in the community who are willing to help out. It will be controlled chaos.
Well enjoy the pics, there are too many stories to tell…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have a blog!

And you are leading a kids club soon! I will pray it goes wonderfully, I so wish I could be there for it.

I love the term 'controlled chaos', it sums up all the kids clubs we have ever had in London.

-Jillian