Tuesday, December 30, 2008

a very merry Christmas






































Christmas Eve afternoon I went down to hear the "Service of Lessons and Carols" at Westminster Abbey. I had two wait in the queue (line) for about 2 hrs before getting a seat but it was worth it to be two rows from the choir. It was a brilliant performance and I loved that they had the audience sing along for a few familiar songs. Other being concerned about time, I am not sure why they only did 6 lessons instead of the regular 9. After the service, I had dinner with two other families. It was a very English dinner with turkey and stuffing, minced pie, malt wine and Christmas pudding. I loved opening up our bag of wrapped treats, it was almost like having stockings!

Christmas morning I woke up at 6am and rode into central London. It was dark and cold but thankfully it only took about 40 minutes to get to Hyde Park and then I spent about an hour cycling around London. Yes I know this sounds like an odd thing to do for a Christmas morning but it is very rare to have no cars around and have no public transportation running. I got to see the city lights and zoom through major intersections ignoring lights and signs:) I went back to my flat and brought my gifts and cards over to another family's house. We opened our gifts together. I loved being with their kids, a boy and girl, 5 and 3 respectively. They provide the cheer needed on an otherwise gloomy Christmas to get into the spirit. I was given enough sweets to last me a long time, let's hope my teeth last!
that afternoon I rode over to another family's house and enjoyed hearing the kids tell me all about Christmas and what they received. I helped prepare some food for the amazing meal that night. It was a long fun night of eating, singing Christmas songs, playing games, hearing stories and riddles. It was so nice to be invited by so many people to join them in their celebrations, especially since I'm new and away from other friends and family. After biking home that night, I was tired but thankful for a very merry Christmas-plus having Boxing Day following just after was a new treat!
pics: Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's, Millennium Bridge, Piccadilly Circus

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey ben, im impressed you waited for 2 hours to get into westminster abbey. Glad it was worth while. Not sure I am blessed with the same persistance! mena xxx

charissa said...

Ben,
In ancient folklore it is assumed that giants created stonehenge and then Merlin re-erected it when the stones were so old they were sinking deep into the ground and had been toppled over in the wars with the Irish. Legend also has it that the first kings of England are buried under there and that is why the Irish wanted to desecrate the place in an effort to "destroy" England's power.