Friday, January 23, 2009

Culinary Creations


I've been cooking for myself for a few years now but am not a great chef. Being a guy, not much is expected but I actually want to challenge myself this year to attempt a new dish at least once a week. I enjoy cooking, even during my studies it was a relaxing break in my day. I miss hosting people and cooking in larger quantities. It is hard to be motivated when I share a small refrigerator and am cooking for one. I tend to stick with what i know. Moving here I was excited about making Indian food, shopping in markets, and learning new recipes but there are many reasons/excuses that have kept me from experimenting. Nonetheless, I told myself each week I would pick a dish, get the ingredients and try it out. So far, so good but then again I'm the only one eating it!
I have not worked from a recipe yet. I kind of explore what's on sale and develop something as go. I first made spaghetti with minced beef, onion, garlic, black pepper, coriander, oregano, mushrooms, tomato sauce served with a light salad, sourdough bread and red wine. I like the sauce a little heavier and spicier than most. Last week I tried stir fry: strips of chicken, red and green bell peppers, rice, egg noodles, ginger, carrots, onions and soy sauce. I was clearing out my frig and it all came together ok! This last week, I made small burritos, or soft tacos or whatever you want to call them. (poorly photographed here) chili sauce cooked into the ground beef, onion, refried beans, cheese, lettuce, some peppers and tomatoes.
When I eat, I hate being rushed, especially with good food. I remember debating with friends whether cooking was art or science, i probably need a bit of both. I am embarrased by how hard it has been to transfer to the metric measuring system. Anyways, if you have any suggestions, critique, or ideas let me know! I normally avoid resolutions but I thought this would be a worthy one to make. Don't worry, I won't be making a post about each one;)

3 comments:

charissa said...

I like it Ben - keep exploring your food. Be a good Bruhn and eat well!!
I have a really good recipe that I will try yo get to you when I get home from WY.

ellie said...

Keep exploring Ben. I'm working on a Thai chicken drumlet recipe today to take to a superball party at Tim and Natalie's place. The marinade is broth-soy sauce-honey-cilantro-chili-lime peel-green onions and garlic cloves. Cooked at 375 for 50 minutes (that's after it marinades for 3 hrs) Served with peanut sauce. yum yum. Wish you could join us.

nowheels said...

Good for you, Ben! Enjoy your time of experimentation, even if you're the only one getting to enjoy the fruits of your labor. I can't wait for you to cook for us when you get home!